WARNING: This blog contains random thoughts on technology, software engineering, and general all-round nerdery. Read at your own risk. Nerd is contagious.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Windows Picture & Fax Viewer quirk

Here's a weird one: It turns out that Windows Picture & Fax Viewer's performance becomes super crappy if you have a bad shortcut in the same folder as the picture you're viewing. I had uninstalled an app but had a shortcut lying around on my desktop when I realized that opening images there would cause my hard drive to thrash.

I think this comes from the part that pre-loads images to improve performance. Still, it shouldn't take too long to discover that a local link is invalid.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes it happens all XP computers, i guess. I realized this problem, searched the google and found your site. I have a lot of network links on my desktop and when I open a picture from the desktop it takes a very long time on my powerful machine. This is something microsoft guys should solve.

11:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever get a solution to this? It drives me MAD that there is no fix for this...

geoff@geofftech.co.uk

8:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had this same problem, searched on google and found your website. Needless to say, you were right. Just thought I would emphasize how weird this problem is.

1:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have a dead Shortcut (*.LNK)
that doesn't refer to any file on you desktop this is likely to happen
Check out
http://www.technologyquestions.com/technology/windows-xp/53409-windows-picture-fax-viewer-very-slow-open.html?q=windows-xp/53409-windows-picture-fax-viewer-very-slow-open.html

7:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home